I worked on changing the RPG battle concept art to match the idea to incorporate more rhythm game elements. With this, the style looks more like something you'd find in an RPG like Mario & Luigi. I also changed the background to match the music theme: the trees are now shaped like very odd violins.
I'll spend the next two days setting up the battle scene in Unity. Next week, I want to finally get started on music composition.
Through the weekend and yesterday, I worked on a mechanic to allow the player to talk to NPC's: non-playable characters. In Viola, any NPC can join your party, so it's important to be able to talk with them.
Click 'Read more' to find out what I used to make this mechanic.
This week, I finished the platforming concept art I started on two weeks ago. It actually ended up being far simpler and less time-consuming than I thought, mostly because I was able to re-use parts from the RPG concept.
Click "Read More" to see a few more concepts, and some in-progress art.
This week I worked on a new mechanic for Viola: playing her trusty little violin. I loved the Nintendo 64 Zelda games and I loved the Ocarina mechanic, letting the player feel like they're playing music with very simple controls.
Click "read more" to find out a little more about the process.
I managed to finish up the 'battle' concept art! Doing the background alone was way, way more work than I thought it would be. At the very least, this project has given me a deep respect for the artists in the game industry.
Press 'Read More' to see a few more pictures and some thought process.