This week I worked on two mechanics: getting healing items and switching party members. I figured this would fit in one week since I wanted this to be done with a single menu screen. However, the amount of programming and design work ended up being far more than I thought. In hindsight, I should've split this up into two separate weeks. The mechanics ended up working great, though.
Click 'Read more' to read more.
This week, I worked on letting the player enter and exit battles. With this feature, the levels are now actually playable! They were, there was just nothing to do in these levels. Now there is! I'm still missing a few features to really call it "complete", but I'm getting there.
Click 'Read more' to read more about this week's activities.
This time, the video showcases more than just what I worked towards this week. The past two weeks, I've also been spending time creating a full level: first in graybox, then creating a tileset to give it visuals. Obviously, the level's still incomplete, so this blogpost will just be about the action commands.
Click 'Read more' to go a little more in-depth with the action commands.
After the setup of the RPG system, I worked on letting turns pass, letting the player choose actions and giving the player the ability to attack, as well as defend. The monsters can also randomly choose an action, damage gets calculated, the UI updates... just about anything you might expect in a turn-based battle system!
Click 'Read more' to read more about how I created this system!
Creating the RPG system is a headache-inducing endeavor to me, so I usually do coding in the mornings and other design stuff in the afternoon, such as levels or... characters! So I made two new characters in the meantime. The avian scribe Momo, and the fuzzy mouse Mhys!
Click 'Read more' to read more about these characters!
This week was dedicated to doing "setup" for the RPG-style battles in Viola. Spawning party members, spawning monsters to fight, creating a UI to keep track of the characters' health and other values, and creating the start of a menu for the player to use. I also did some graphics research to get pixel perfect assets, as well as optional scanlines!
Click 'Read more' to read more!