This week I worked on creating new stories for the second level of Viola. The second level is the one used in the vertical slice, which had its own set of stories. The vertical slice's stories were created the give the player a global idea of what Viola's story would be like.
Now that I'm making actual levels, the stories get to slow down. That means I get to let Viola actually fail at stuff.
Click 'Read more' to read up about the systems used to create stories in Viola.
I focused on fixing up various things this week to prepare for level creation. I also worked on different "interactables" for Viola: Donkey Kong Country inspired "launchers". I've also changed Viola's movement a little bit, making her walljumps and movement a lot more natural.
Click 'Read more' to get the dropdown on the changes.
This week I started working on the final section of the game. Now that the first level of the game is more or less done (barring some necessary improvements for the art), I'm now doing the final part of the game. That way, I can easily scale the game by making more or less levels between the two I've made already.
I started by making a section right before the final boss where the player gets a moment to say goodbye to the characters they've recruited on their way.
Click 'Read more' below to read more about the code regarding the conversations.
Spells are now functional in-game during battle. Global warming made things a little more difficult (how do people think in all this heat?), but wow if it doesn't work. Visual and audio polish are still necessary to give the player proper feedback, but it's important to put functionality first.
Click 'Read more' to read more about spells!
This week was the week of spells. Or rather, the two weeks: this time, I was smart enough to split the work of spells up into two weeks. This week, I wanted to get the commands working, as well as implement the various settings for each spell. Next week will be getting the spells summoned through a menu in-game.
Click 'Read more' to read more about the code behind the magic!
This week I worked on two mechanics: getting healing items and switching party members. I figured this would fit in one week since I wanted this to be done with a single menu screen. However, the amount of programming and design work ended up being far more than I thought. In hindsight, I should've split this up into two separate weeks. The mechanics ended up working great, though.
Click 'Read more' to read more.
This week, I worked on letting the player enter and exit battles. With this feature, the levels are now actually playable! They were, there was just nothing to do in these levels. Now there is! I'm still missing a few features to really call it "complete", but I'm getting there.
Click 'Read more' to read more about this week's activities.
This time, the video showcases more than just what I worked towards this week. The past two weeks, I've also been spending time creating a full level: first in graybox, then creating a tileset to give it visuals. Obviously, the level's still incomplete, so this blogpost will just be about the action commands.
Click 'Read more' to go a little more in-depth with the action commands.
After the setup of the RPG system, I worked on letting turns pass, letting the player choose actions and giving the player the ability to attack, as well as defend. The monsters can also randomly choose an action, damage gets calculated, the UI updates... just about anything you might expect in a turn-based battle system!
Click 'Read more' to read more about how I created this system!
This week was dedicated to doing "setup" for the RPG-style battles in Viola. Spawning party members, spawning monsters to fight, creating a UI to keep track of the characters' health and other values, and creating the start of a menu for the player to use. I also did some graphics research to get pixel perfect assets, as well as optional scanlines!
Click 'Read more' to read more!